Shrinking Oceans and Cutting Red Tape in Pursuit of the American Dream

Immigration Law Blog

Blog on immigration law information, issues and news.

What is an I-601 Waiver?

If you're applying for a fiance or spouse visa, and you are is "inadmissible," then you'll probably need to apply for a I-601 Waiver.

There are several reasons why someone might be inadmissible and may not be allowed to come into the U.S., including:

  • overstaying their visa/accumulated illegal presence in the US for more than 180 days
  • having certain communicable diseases
  • having a dangerous physical/mental disorder
  • having committed certain crimes
  • using fraud or other illegal means to get into the US
  • and more

If you need legal advice and want to know whether you'll need a waiver, you should speak with an immigration attorney.